The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway Society sponsors the restoration of an original DHR item of rolling stock
Built at Tindharia in 1902, this 4-wheel coach was in service until 1968. It was eventually rescued and brought to the National Railway Museum in Delhi, where it has been exhibited for many years. Apart from the occasional change of livery, little work has been done on it, and by its centenary year it was in urgent need of repair.
In May 2002 the DHRS approved a budget for the project and together with Mr Rajesh Agrawal, the then Director of the NRM, a Delhi based contractor was appointed. After a period of research and detailed investigation of the vehicle in its current condition, a detailed plan was drawn up to restore it to its original condition starting in January 2003.
Restoration work in progress Feb 2003- Photo P Jordan
At some point of times metal sheeting was screwed to the sides of coach No 119 (along with most of the wooden panelled DHR stock) to "modernise" its appearance. Unfortunately this has led to the deterioration of the main structural timbers which of course will be replaced. With the help of Terry Martin, the society's archivist, a "warm brown" colour has been identified will be used when No 119 is re-painted in original Darjeeling Himalayan Railway company livery.
The state of the coach No 119, after a few years of neglect at the railway museum.